Subject Re: [firebird-support] Correct Page Size for the database.
Author Ann W. Harrison
Martin Dew wrote:
> Can someone point me in the direction of any articles on setting up the
> page size of my DB correctly.

There isn't an article - perhaps I should write one - nor is there one
simple answer. If there were an obvious answer, Firebird would set the
page size automatically.

The tool that will help you choose a page size is gstat. The output
is a bit cryptic, but you're basically looking for two things - the
average record length and the depth of indexes. If the average record
length for any table is larger than the record size, increase the page
size. If the index depth is more than three, increase the page size.

Regards,

Ann

This is a gstat from a completely empty database.

gstat -a -r awh.fdb

Analyzing database pages ...
T1 (128)
Primary pointer page: 153, Index root page: 154
_Average record length_: 0.00, total records: 0
Average version length: 0.00, total versions: 0, max versions: 0
Data pages: 0, data page slots: 0, average fill: 0%
Fill distribution:
0 - 19% = 0
20 - 39% = 0
40 - 59% = 0
60 - 79% = 0
80 - 99% = 0

Index IDX1 (0)
_Depth_: 1, leaf buckets: 1, nodes: 0
Average data length: 0.00, total dup: 0, max dup: 0
Fill distribution:
0 - 19% = 1
20 - 39% = 0
40 - 59% = 0