Subject Re: [firebird-support] Problem with subselect and First
Author Svein Erling Tysvaer
I have no idea why it doesn't work the same on two machines (I expect
both databases are dialect 3), but this particular problem is at least
possible to work around:

WHERE
EXISTS(SELECT * FROM caixa B
WHERE B.cli_cod = A.cli_cod AND A.cxa_cod = B.cxa_cod)
AND NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM caixa B1
JOIN caixa B2 on B1.cli_cod = B2.cli_cod
WHERE B1.cli_cod = A.cli_cod
AND B1.cxa_cod > A.cxa_cod
AND B2.cxa_cod > B1.cxa_cod)

(assuming that cxa_cod is unique for a particular cli_cod in caixa).

It will probably not be practical to do the same with select first 25,
here I'd rather try something like

AND EXISTS(SELECT * FROM clientes C2 WHERE A.cli_cod = C2.cli_cod
AND (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM clientes C3
WHERE c3.cli_nome < C2.cli_cod) < 25)

if required (though for performance it may be required to write a stored
procedure if you have lots of clientes).

My background is still Firebird 1.5, but I expect this to be valid for
Firebird 2.0 as well.

HTH,
Set