Subject Re: [firebird-support] ODS 9
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
Leyne, Sean wrote:
>>> Is there a version of Firebird that can read an ODS 9 database?
>>>

>> Not sure, but try FB 1.0
>>

> As I recall ODS 9 was for the InterBase 5.6 release.
>
> So, I would be very surprised if FB 1.0 worked.

That's the point where I put a "not sure" before starting :-)

AFAIK FB provides access to the previous ODS format (an engine that
could read ODS 11 could read ODS10 too, i just derivate it to ODS 10 to
ODS 9)

>> I think you could at least make a gbak from it.
>>

> To be clear.
>
> The gbak backup would need to be run using the old engine.
>
> Te restore could be preformed with any FB 1.x release.

That is the correct procedure, but if an engine could read the prior
version of a database, I think it could theorically work.

> Sean

Thanks for you point Sean, do you have any comments about my assumptions ?

I know the best way to verify it would be testing, but I try to follow
the rules (using gbak of 1.5 to generate a back-up and then use gbak
from 2.0 to restore it), I had never did this way (the "wrong" way), but
I wish it could work to save the original poster's day.

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith
Development