Subject Re: Controlling the Number of Simultaneous Users
Author tomkrej
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Woody" <woody-tmw@...> wrote:

> From: "Dan Cooperstock" <dcoops@...>
> >
> > That idea is fairly similar to the idea someone on an ASP
> > (Association of Shareware Professionals) forum suggested, which is to
> > send out a multicast UDP packet on startup, that other instances of
> > my program on the same subnet respond to with "Yes, I'm here". The
> > sender counts the responses, and if they exceed the licensed # of
> > users (minus one, to allow the sender to run), prevents the sender
> > from running.
> >
> > This actually seems a bit simpler, because it doesn't need a server
> > program, and isn't affected by crashes.
> >
> > Any comments on that idea? Thanks.

Hello,
but what's about Firewalls??
We used this kind of controll, but we left it, because some users
close the lines by firewalls, it's not a problem if You have a little
bit better firewall than that i WinXP.

We rather use our own firebird user, we block SYSDBA by role named
SYSDBA, a we count how many users are connected to database. It's
effective and the only problem starts, when some client PC fails and
the server keep connection for some 5, 10 or 15 minutes.
But this is not a serious problem.

Tom