Subject Re: [firebird-support] Limbo transactions?
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
Helen Borrie wrote:
> At 11:15 AM 22/11/2007, Alexandre Benson Smith wrote:
>
>> heineferreira wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> What are Limbo transactions? Do I need to worry about them?
>>>
>> Limbo transactions relates to teo-phase
>>

> two-phase

A tipo, I wonder what a two-phase commit could have to do with gods (teo
prefix realtes to gods at least in portuguese) Maybe praying to the gods
so the connection don't broke when performing a two phase commit ? :-)

>> commit protocol, they are transaction that are neither commited or rolled back in all databases, generally caused by broken connection.
>>
>> You should not care about it unless you use two-phase commit.
>>
>> Note, my explanation could not be 100% acurate since I never did a DML
>> operations that spawns multiples databases.
>>

> To be clear, Firebird doesn't support "DML operations that SPAN multiple databases" [ DML can't SPAWN databases ;-) ]. It does support *transactions* that span multiple databases, that is, connect to multiple databases simultaneously and perform operations in each that retain the consistent state of each DB for the duration of the transaction. Two-phase commit is the mechanism by which the consistency of the participating databases is protected.

Thanks for clarifying Helen :-)

When I said DML I meant "operations" not a single DML instruction, but
as always you have a lot more precise way to say the things.

> ./heLen

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith