Subject RE: [firebird-support] Re: Decimal field precision question
Author Rick Debay
> I think that I'm going to standardize on using NUMERIC instead of
DECIMAL so that if I ever need to store smaller numerics (pp.ss), I will
save myself 2 bytes per field

Do what's correct, not based on what a side-effect of the implementation
may buy you.

If the data is of a certain precision and scale, but is allowed to be
more precise, then use DECIMAL. If it is NOT allowed to be more
precise, then use NUMERIC.
Hopefully later versions of Firebird will use something similar to
Java's BigDecimal as the underlying representation so it will restrict
the data correctly, and allow the upper size limits to be unbounded.