Subject Re: [firebird-support] Best Practice Question - How many rows to update before commit?
Author Woody
From: "Leyne, Sean" <Sean@...>
> One comment though, 500,000 rows should load at the rate of about 1,000
> per second (I got this and I'm a lousy Delphi programmer), but you need
> to use prepared queries and parameters to accomplish this. So, 3 hours
> of import time seems very wrong.

IME, it depends on what processing is going on when importing. If you are
stricly just reading data and writing them to fields, it should run much
faster as you said. However, there are times where I do this but have to do
a lot of processing of each row of information, such as updating other
tables depending on values. Then it can run much, much longer. It could also
depend on whether the imported data is on a local resource or being pulled
across an inter/intra-net.

The size of the data could also play a role in how many rows you should
write before committing.

Also, deactivate any indexes on the tables being updated and then reactivate
them after loading.

HTH
Woody