Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird server not always starts at Windows startup
Author Fulvio Senore
Helen Borrie ha scritto:
> At 10:10 PM 16/01/2007, you wrote:
>
>> hello all,
>>
>> I try again since the other thread is defunct.
>>
>> Firebird SS 2.0.0.12748 final. The server is automatically started as a
>> service at Windows startup by means of the Guardian.
>>
>> Problem:
>>
>> The Firebird server is not always started when Windows starts. When it
>> fails, I find this error in the log:
>>
>> ANNIBALE (Client) Tue Jan 16 10:18:31 2007
>> C:\Programmi\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\bin\fbserver.exe :
>> The guardian was unable to launch the server thread. errno : 1055
>>
>> But other times, without changing anything, it starts. Approximately, it
>> succeeds 2 times out of 10. This is very annoying...
>>

> It's not a Firebird problem, but the more or less random order in
> which Windows starts up services. Something that was needed to be
> running in order for Guardian to start fbserver tried to access the
> registry database but, when it tried to, some other service had it locked.
>
> It's usually that the network service is locked out while waiting for
> Windows to load up all the bits and pieces of RAS services, which
> have several layers of dependencies.
>
> Yes, it's annoying....if it's too annoying, you might like to Google
> around for bright ideas on which dependencies you could add to your
> Guardian service definition to ensure that it doesn't try to start
> fbserver before the network service is available. Then, if you find
> something that works for your setup, you could write a little paper
> for ReallyUseful....
>
> ./heLe
Hello to everybody, I am a new subscriber and I am just starting to use
Firebird so my knowledge is very limited.

Why not to let the Guardian wait a user-configurable time before
starting the server? I think that a 15-30 seconds delay should be enough
to make sure that all the needed software is running.

Fulvio Senore