Subject Re: What's the upper limit on LockHashSlots?
Author Stephen J. Friedl
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Ann W. Harrison"
<aharrison@...> wrote:
> I think the problem is mostly wasting space - those values were set
> in 1985, when memory was expensive and rare. As far as I know, there
> are no algorithms that walk across the hash table - work lists are
> all doubly linked lists.

This does beg another question: is there anything to be said for
rebuiling Firebird to increase the hash limit from 2048 to some larger
16-bit prime (65521 or 32749)? Looking at the code it looks like it's
just a matter of editing lock/lock.cpp to increase HASH_MAX_SLOTS.

I'm graphing the mutex wait % in Cacti now, and if this number gets
above some reasonable percent, it might suggest a recompile with a
larger number is in order.

Steve

---

Steve Friedl | UNIX Wizard | Microsoft MVP | steve@...