Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird 1.5 on linux (Debian) is always stopping
Author Helen Borrie
At 04:19 AM 30/08/2006, you wrote:
>On the firebird.log on linux i have lots of this messages:
>

>inika (Server) Tue Aug 22 16:14:04 2006
> INET/inet_error: select in packet_receive errno = 9
>
> INET/inet_error: send errno = 32
>
>inika (Server) Tue Aug 22 16:16:44 2006
> INET/inet_error: read errno = 104
>
>inika (Server) Tue Aug 22 16:16:44 2006
> INET/inet_error: send errno = 32
>
>inika (Server) Tue Aug 22 16:16:44 2006
> INET/inet_error: send errno = 32
>
>inika (Server) Tue Aug 22 16:16:44 2006
> INET/inet_error: read errno = 104
>
>inika (Server) Tue Aug 22 16:16:44 2006
> INET/inet_error: send errno = 32
>
>inika (Server) Tue Aug 22 16:16:44 2006
> INET/inet_error: send errno = 32
>
>inika (Server) Tue Aug 22 16:16:44 2006
> INET/inet_error: send errno = 32

INET error messages have come from the network operating
system. This particular one is the TCP/IP "Broken pipe" error. It
will occur when the server attempts to write to an attached client
and that client is no longer connected.

>Where is i see what mean these messages

You can use Google to find lists of explanations for TCP errors.

>and why the FB stops responding?

If the client/server connection is broken, the server will keep
waiting for acknowledging packets until the TCP service finally times
out the dead connection. The timeout period is 2 hours on many
Linuxen; I don't know whether Debian is standard in that regard.

>Can anyone help me?

The usual advice for this very generic problem is to look for reasons
why the network connection between server and client is getting
broken. The possibilities are innumerable. It could be a physical
fault in the network (bad NIC, loose cables) or it could be something
simple like a user pressing the Reset button on his computer while
connected to the database. I hope your Firebird server is not trying
to access a database on a mounted external device, e.g., a hard drive
on a different machine in the network.

./heLen