Subject RE: [firebird-support] Query Problem (Resolved + New Question)
Author Anthony Tanas
Helen and Alan,

Thank you so much for the responses. I was able to fix my issue by going
about the query a bit different and discovered some problems with my
database design.

Alan - I am using a Date datatype...please let me know what you were
thinking about for my own edification.

Helen - yes, sorry, I actually removed the BILLINGID field from the select
when I submitted my problem here (and forgot to remove it from the group by)
as I was thinking it was extraneous to my question and I thought it would
make it clearer. Obviously that was a stupid thing and I won't do it again.
:p (AMOUNT is in the select however, in a calculation for a field I named
"EXTENDED" in the select.)

In regards to order of GROUP BY, please help me to understand how this
should work generally. I've noticed that the database wants me to include
any non-aggregated fields in the select list but I don't understand why? It
seems to me that I should only have to GROUP BY BILLINGITEMID for what I was
trying to do.

In regards to DISTINCT, yes I see I don't need that, I'm not sure why I had
it. However it shouldn't negatively affect my results though right?

OK, (I used a subselect instead of the previous grouping approach) my
solution uncovered an embarrassing issue with my database design that I
would be grateful for some tips on. Here is my working solution (untouched!
:p ) with question to follow:

SELECT DISTINCT
BI.BILLINGITEMID,
P.CHARTID,
P.LASTNAME || ', ' || P.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || P.MIDDLEINITIAL
PATIENTDISPLAYNAME,
BI.BILLINGITEMDATE,
BI.DIAGNOSISCODE,
BI.PROCEDURECODE,
BI.BILLINGID,
BI.AMOUNT * BI.UNITS EXTENDED,
COALESCE((SELECT SUM(AMOUNT) FROM PAYMENT WHERE BILLINGITEMID =
BI.BILLINGITEMID AND PAYMENTDATE <= :BILLINGITEMDATE),0.00) SUMOFPAYMENTS,
(BI.AMOUNT * BI.UNITS) - COALESCE((SELECT SUM(AMOUNT) FROM PAYMENT WHERE
BILLINGITEMID = BI.BILLINGITEMID AND PAYMENTDATE <= :BILLINGITEMDATE),0.00)
BALANCE
FROM
BILLINGITEM BI
INNER JOIN BILLING B ON (BI.BILLINGID = B.BILLINGID)
INNER JOIN PATIENT P ON (B.PATIENTID = P.PATIENTID)
WHERE
BI.BILLINGITEMDATE <= :BILLINGITEMDATE AND
(
(BI.AMOUNT * BI.UNITS) - COALESCE((SELECT SUM(AMOUNT) FROM PAYMENT WHERE
BILLINGITEMID = BI.BILLINGITEMID AND PAYMENTDATE <= :BILLINGITEMDATE),0.00)
> 0.001 OR
(BI.AMOUNT * BI.UNITS) - COALESCE((SELECT SUM(AMOUNT) FROM PAYMENT WHERE
BILLINGITEMID = BI.BILLINGITEMID AND PAYMENTDATE <= :BILLINGITEMDATE),0.00)
< -0.001
)
ORDER BY
P.LASTNAME, P.FIRSTNAME, P.MIDDLEINITIAL, BI.BILLINGITEMDATE,
BI.BILLINGITEMID

You'll notice some weirdness in my where clause with "> 0.001" OR "< -0.001"
... Where really what I want to say is "<> 0"

Some time ago I was required to convert my application from a Paradox
database to client/server LITERALLY overnight. In my haste I think I made a
big mistake with my datatypes. I used a FLOAT for my currency, so there are
numbers after the hundreds place that is causing me to have to do the above
to get my results.

An additional problem I just noticed is that out of nearly $100,000
calculated my final result is off by some change, maybe 60 or 70 cents.

So my question is - what is the correct datatype for currency? What is the
best way to safely convert my tables and data?

Thanks to all for your time and expertise! :)

-Anthony