Subject Re: Strange (to me) Alias/Database file behaviour
Author Roger Crämer
Hi Colin,

AFAIK that's a correct behaviour for filehandling on Linux (Unix).

After an application has opened a file, the directory entry
of that file is (for that fileconnection) no more used and may
be changed (i.e. renamed, deleted, ...). The application continues
using the file (its data) via the file's I-node.
If you "remove" (or rename) the file, you only remove (rename) the
file's entry in the directory. The file itself (meaning the file's
data) is removed by the system only if noone is accessing the file
(you may see that if you "remove" the file, but the 'df' command shows
the same filesystem usage as before).

In your case it seems that there exists another connection to the
test database so the SS is accessing the database's datafile.
Because the SS has opened the connection, every access to that
database (via the SuperServer) accesses the old data.
Check, if you closed all DB connections to the test database before
deleting/replacing the database with the backup.

Better do the following steps
o create backup of the test database (maybe you'll need that)
o drop the test database
o recreate the test database using the productive backup

If the database is in use, you should not be able to drop the
database. Also a 'shutdown' of the database will not force the SS
using the database (so the database's datafile is in use anymore).

Roger

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "reg_hill_labs"