Subject Re: UDF Unloaded
Author philcaetano
I understand how UDF's work. I know its on the server side etc.

Maybe I should have been more clear. What I want to know is how long
does the UDF stay "ALIVE" on the server.

What I'm doing is the following:

I have and database that contains a large amount of small data.
ID,X,Y,Z,VALUE

Large meaning that I need to insert over 10000 to 100000 in 1
transaction. Do this takes too long to run with insert SQLs.

What I did (And it does work) is I create a 3 UDFs.
one is InsertData(ID: Integer; DATA: BLOB); The blob contains the
entire data of thousands of records in binary format. When I call
insert it will insert all this data into a Inmemory variable that
contains all the information (TList of ^Records)

I then have another UDF that will get the count data GetBlockCount(ID)
: Cardinal and another one that says GetData(ID : Integer; var
x,y,z,value);

I then use those two commands in a stored procedure to do all the
inserts of the data at the serverside. The stored procedure is
started from the client (threaded). Which allows the client to do
other tasks while this data is being created.

The speed result is many many times faster than if I did the inserts
from the client.

This is why I want to know if the udf can get unloaded before I call
the other two commands. Since the time from insert and when the
stored procedure is called is almost instance I'm pretty sure this is ok.

There might be another approach by using a server app and doing that,
but it just seems to work nicely using the udf.

Hope this is clear.