Subject RE: [firebird-support] PostGIS support ?
Author Nigel Weeks
I like the look of R-tree implementations using database tables - that would
be a very nice recursive SP to build.

Might give it a shot today, if things get quiet.

Nige.

-----Original Message-----
From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of = m. Th =
Sent: Monday, 11 December 2006 9:42 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] PostGIS support ?

Nols Smit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked at work (where large GIS applications are using
SQLServer) about FireBird support for PostGIS as in PostgresSQL.

> Referring links:
> http://postgis.refractions.net/
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/
>

> Regards,
>
> Nols Smit

No, Firebird doesn't have implemented the R-tree indexes (which are the
core for a spatial engine), even it will be very nice to have them, but
you can use Fb as storage engine and build a customized one for
yourself. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_tree
http://www.dblab.ece.ntua.gr/~mario/rtree/ (nice demo here...)
http://www.rtreeportal.org/

...and follow the other links from these pages if you're interested. You
have there enough source code (in C/C++ or Java) to use if you want to
implement this. Perhaps the Fb team considers to implement them...

hth,

m. th.