Subject Re: [firebird-support] Variable query in procedure
Author jft
Pepak,

I've just moved across from MSSQL to Firebird, and have yet to write a Firebird stored procedure - so I'm not familiar yet with Firebird's syntax, but the principle here is the same in both databases I believe.

The problem - return all records matching any non-null user-supplied parameters representing particular columns.

One approach:
a) Define two program variables for each user-supplied parameter, eg P1Low & P1High, P2Low & P2High etc
b) Initialise them to the extremes for that datatype or as required by the application
(eg -999999999 * +999999999 for integers, ' ' & 'zzzzzzzzzz' for strings)
c) If the user supplies a value for that parameter, set both the high and low variables to that value

Then write your (single) SQL statement as follows:
select field1, field2
from tablename
where field1 between P1Low and P1High
and field2 between P2Low and P2High

If any of the fields are nullable, say field2 in this example, modify the SQL statement to:
select field1, field2
from tablename
where field1 between P1Low and P1High
and coalesce(field2,P2Low) between P2Low and P2High

To illustrate, connect to the default Employee database supplied with Firebird and check the principle with the following statements. In the Department table there are nulls in the Mngr_no column, but not in the Location column.

To return all 21 records from the Department table with the basic statement above run:

select location, mngr_no
from department
where location between ' ' and 'zzzzzzzzzzz' and coalesce(mngr_no,-1) between -1 and 9999;

If the user supplies both 'Tokyo' and '118' then the statement becomes:

select location, mngr_no from department where location between 'Tokyo' and 'Tokyo' and coalesce(mngr_no,-1) between 118 and 118;

If the user supplies only '118' then the statement becomes:

select location, mngr_no from department where location between ' ' and 'zzzzzzzzzz' and coalesce(mngr_no,118) between 118 and 118;

If the user supplies only 'Singapore' then the statement becomes:

select location, mngr_no from department where location between 'Singapore' and 'Singapore' and coalesce(mngr_no,-1) between -1 and 9999;

As with any programming, you need to check the extreme cases carefully - also check it runs fast enough in your particular situation.

HTH
John