Subject Re: [firebird-support] Can I use FB Embedded with VB6?
Author Lin XG
Hi mt_headed99

This might help with the last part of your question.

Dim myConnection As ADODB.Connection
Dim myStrConn as String
Dim mySQL as string

myStrConn = "DRIVER=Firebird/Interbase(r)
driver;DBNAME=192.0.0.100:c:\program
files\firebird\firebird_1_5\myDataBaseDir\myDatabase.fdb;UID=ADMINUSER;PWD=admin987"

Set myConnection = New ADODB.Connection
myConnection.ConnectionString = myStrConn
myConnection.Open

mySQL = "some sql statement"

myConnection.Execute (mySQL)
myConnection.Close

--- mt_headed99 <mt_headed99@...> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I have a legacy app that I need to keep upgrading
> while I work on its
> successor... I'm planning to move to all open-source
> and
> cross-platform; at this point I'm actually favoring
> Python. But
> meanwhile, I need to make the thing database-aware.
>
> I know from experience that, if anyone responds to
> this message, 95%
> of the responses will simply tell me not to use VB6.
> I'm working on
> that...
>
> I've been trying to RTFM on this, but I can't seem
> to find an answer -
> VB6 won't let me create a reference to
> fbembed/fbclient.dll; the ODBC
> driver on the Firebird website appears to be .NET
> only... am I out of
> luck? Or can I use the Microsoft ADO ver 2.8 that I
> _do_ have a
> reference for, and in that case what sort of
> connection string do I
> use? (And how the heck does the embedded server run
> if I can't
> reference the DLL?)
>
> I'd prefer to use the embedded server 'cause it's so
> tiny, but it's
> not a deal-breaker if I can't. If I can't, however,
> would someone
> please help me construct a working connection string
> for CS or SS? I
> can't find any working examples for VB6, and I'm
> flummoxed trying to
> translate the .NET examples.
>
> Many thanks, sincerely -
> Stuck in the Dark Ages