Subject Re: [firebird-support] Install problem on W2K Firebird 1.5.2.4731 while testing
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:34 PM 19/08/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>Well, it has happened to me and it is very frustrating to waste so
>much time.
>
>Running W2K Pro. Was running OK and could access databases both
>local and remote using internal tools as well as IBExpert.
>
>Testing firebird 1.5.2.4731 to switch between SuperServer and Classic
>got something "confused" at my computer. I can act as a client for
>any remote database OK. I cannot contact databases on my hard disk.
>
>Tried EMS Interbase/Firebird Manager as well as IBExpert. I
>get: "Connection failed! Service is stopped or unproper client
>library is used to establish connection to the service!" Services
>running OK, according to Services as well as Task Manager. But
>databases are "Unavailable."
>
>Path to executable for the service:
>C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\bin\fbserver.exe -s
>
>Have done the CMD and "instreg.exe r" and the second time
>the "instreg.exe i" with no joy.
>
>I have done the reinstall and remove and reboot and reinstall fresh
>tons of time. Tried Classic and SS installs. I am willing to
>uninstall, delete the directories, etc.
>
>I think something got confused on my localhost.

Confused...somewhere...

Why do you think you would be able to switch transparently between Classic
and Superserver services from an "out-of-the-box" installation? The
services have the same name. If you install one, you exclude the other.

The program you need for installing and uninstalling the *service* is
instsvc.exe, not instreg.exe. And you would need to remove the Guardian
service for Classic, if it was installed with SS, and vice versa. Guardian
starts with different parameters, depending on which server model it is
overseeing. A running Guardian service that is set up to start
fbserver.exe won't start fb_inet_server.exe. (Actually, Guardian should be
excluded altogether for Classic, since it causes problems with freeing
detached connections...).

In addition to other things, you can't access the Windows Classic server
using a local path; so, if you believe that you have the Classic service
properly set up, your client tools will need to use a full network path to
access local databases. SS can do local attachments using a network path,
though.

Databases set up to run with Superserver will have vastly different cache
requirements than those set up to run with Classic. This might or might
not be an issue, depending on where the cache requirements are set up.

And those are just some of the "gotchas" that I can think of, while sitting
here in my pyjamas with the day's first coffee, on a rainy Saturday morning....

./heLen