Subject Re: GID and UID in FBSecurity.FDB
Author Tony Masefield
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...>
wrote:
> At 07:14 AM 4/08/2005 +0000, you wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >There are references to the existence of the GID and UID in the
> >security database but not to as what these are for.
> >Do they have a specific use (Windows Platform)?
>
> Not on windows. They refer to Unix group and user IDs,
respectively.

> >Can they be safely modified for ones own use?
>
> Depends what you mean by "safely". A Windows server doesn't do
anything
> with them. On the other hand, if you're planning to write user
> applications that mess around with the security database directly,
rather
> than thorough gsec or its Services API equivalent, it can't be
stated that
> anything is "safe", or even "doable" if you're not fairly well
acquainted
> with how the database is used by the server.
>
> >Are they deprecated or should they be considered as 'reserved' for
> >future FB use?
>
> Neither. They are used on some Unix systems, with embedded
> applications. Furthermore, the security model is undergoing
extensive
> re-architecting in Firebird 2 and beyond.
>
> ./hb
Thanks Helen,

I was thinking of using them for my own purpose but as FB 2 onwards
security model will undergo re-architecting I will leave them alone.
My idea was to use one of them to represent an employee's department.
Will revert to the time honoured method of a seperate table.
Rgds