Subject Re: [firebird-support] Alias connection problem.
Author Sam Hunt
Alexandre Benson Smith wrote:

>delphigurusam wrote:
>

>>All XP (Home and Pro) in a Peer-to-peer
>>All PCs IP address dynamically assigned
>>The Firebird server is DevBox_1.
>>
>>** CONF settings: **
>>FIREBIRD.CONF
>>DatabaseAccess = None
>>
>>ALIAS.CONF
>># List of known database aliases
>># ------------------------------
>># dummy = c:\data\dummy.fdb
>>AT6Test=c:\program files\at60test\auctiontracker.fdb
>>CT6Test=c:\program files\at60test\constituent.fdb
>>
>>I also have datasources defined on the Firebird PC server DevBox_1 for
>>AT6Test and CT6Test, since I originally developed this app using a
>>D7/ADO database connection object and built the connection string with
>>the MS ODBC manager.
>>
>>If I use just the "AT6Test" and "CT6Test" (as instructed in THE book)
>>in the D7/ADO/Database connection object connection string, it runs
>>fine on the server, but not on the client. If I replace the ODBC
>>manager-created connection string with the alias address type of
>>DevBox_1:AT6Test, I get the following error from the server AND client
>>machine (with approriate FB client installed):
>>"Error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found
>>and no default driver specified"
>>
>>This should be simple, but it evades me.
>>Thx in adavance.
>>Sam Hunt
>>

>Sam,
>
>You should keep the ODBC manager created ADO connection string.
>
>in the ODBC manager you shoule specify the ServerName:AliasName.
>
>If you specify just the AliasName, the cliente library will try to
>connect to a local server (this is why if you try to connect in the
>server it works ok)
>
>If you specify the whole ADO connection string by "ServerName:AliasName"
>this will fail to identify the correct driver to load.
>
>1.) In your ODBC manager specify the full connection string
>(ServerName:AliasName)
>2.) Build your connection string using the ODBC/ADO interface
>2.) Be happy :-)
>
>see you !

Tried your suggestion....
Replacing the "Database" name "C:/Program
Files/AT60Test/CONSTITUENT.FDB" (which did work locally) in the MS ODBC
manager with "DevBox_1:AT6Test" causes the MS ODBC manager to report the
error:
"Unable to complete network request to host "DevBox_1". Failed to
locate host machine. The specified name was not found in the hosts file
or Domain Name Services."
Sam Hunt