Subject Re: [firebird-support] gbak slow on remote connection fas on local
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
Nigel Weeks wrote:

>Here's a trick I've found fixes problems like this on my network.
>On your windows server, open up your network card configuration, and change
>it from auto-negotiation of link speed and duplex to 100MBit/Full Duplex.
>(If that's what your switch supports)
>
>I know you've done file copies, and got great speed, but I did too! You've
>got nothing to loose!

Nigel,

Works like a charm ! :-)))

now a remote backup took 36 seconds. 3.6 times slower than the localhost
version, but I can handle it, and I don't expect to be 3.6 factor will
be the same on a bigger database.

I have set my network adapter to use 100Mbps/half duplex, with Full
duplex I experiencied the same "stop" at the same table. I though my
switch was full duplex :-(

The file copy using samba takes virtually the same time.

Now another question, off-topic here, but I hope Helen will excuse me.

I put this laptop on every kind of network (10Mbps, 100Mbps, and half or
full duplex) without the auto-negotiating it will work ok ? I think yes,
but don't whant to expect unknown problems like this one.

Thanks for the tip !

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith