Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird Log
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:31 AM 27/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>does anybody knows why I have this error in my firebird.log ?
>
> INET/inet_error: select in packet_receive errno = 9

YES.

>(my server is a Mandrake Linux 10.0 on a biproc Xeon 3.2GHz and
>I use the Firebird 1.5.2 SuperServer on databases mounted on a
>NFS volume)

You can't do this "out-of-the-box" and you should not do it anyway (though
the Very Unwise can configure it in firebird.conf). I'm not even going to
tell you how to do this, in case you get the idea that it might be a good
idea. It is actually one of the most stupid "features" to have been
contributed to Firebird.

For read-write databases you *must* store databases on disks that are
physically connected to the host machine.

You can make a Firebird database read-only. (This is not a file attribute,
it is a database attribute, that is written into the database header by the
gfix utility). In that case, it is "safe" to use a mounted filesystem (in
the sense of not being able to corrupt data) but the server's ability to
stay in touch with the database is not necessarily great....it's useful for
storing images or audio files on a CD-ROM for something like a catalogue
application.

>And I don't know if there's a relation between the 2 problems but
>every day, my firebird server crashes with this error in the log :
> SCH_validate -- wrong thread
>or this one :
> SCH_validate -- not entered

Just keep fingers crossed that you haven't corrupted your database.

>I have already asked for help on many forums, but no one can answer
>to me.

Many forums? This is the forum for firebird support. :-) Were you
perhaps a brave soul who tried to ask Firebird questions on the Borland forums?

./hb