Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Database corruption
Author Jonathan Neve
Svein Erling Tysvær wrote:

>Well, Jonathan, upgrading to a more recent version of Firebird would
>prevent some possible errors. I think IB 6 still has the possibility
>of corrupting databases on Windows if two clients points to it using
>different connection strings, e.g 'c:\something.gdb' and 'c:something.
>gdb' (note the missing backslash).

Interesting, I didn't know that. I do have two client applications
running against the same (local) database, but normally, they should
share exactly the same connection string, since it's a setting I put in
the registry for both applications... However, I think I heard once that
it's better to use a TCP/IP loopback connection string (i.e.,
'localhost:c:\database.gdb'), rather than just specifying the path
directly. Could this be a cause of corruption?

>Another possibility is if forced writes is off. I still think that can
>make Firebird databases corrupt, but IB has this 'databasewrecking'
>setting as default.

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure forced writes is on. If it were, I
wouldn't bother writing here, I'd be _expecting_ corruption! ;-)

>It do not think it is completely impossible to corrupt databases other
>ways as well, but these are two common causes for corruption.

Thanks a lot, I'd never heard of the first cause!

Regards,
Jonathan Neve.