Subject Re: [firebird-support] FB 1.5.2 Ambiguous Column Name
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:21 AM 26/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>FB does not catch ambiguous column names in a sub-query. For example,
>I want find all passengers who are boarding flights on a certain date
>at a certain point on the route:
>
>select PersonnelNo
>from Passenger P
>inner join Flight F on P.FltSeqNo = F.FltSeqNo
>where FltDate = current_date
>and DepartFrom = ?
>
>There is a DepartFrom column in both tables so FB raises an exception.
>However if I have the same SQL in a sub-query there is no objection:
>
>select ...
>where PersonnelNo in
>(select PersonnelNo
>from Passenger P
>inner join Flight F on P.FltSeqNo = F.FltSeqNo
>where FltDate = current_date
>and DepartFrom = ?)
>
>A small point but I am converting form InterBase and am getting
>paranoid about ambiguous column names.

Rightly so.

Is this a dialect 1 or dialect 3 database? Fb 1.5.x issues exceptions on
all ambiguities for dialect 3 database and warnings for some cases in
dialect 1. Most tools intercept and swallow warnings. AFAIU, in Fb 2, the
party is over and you will get spanked for all potentially ambiguous
correlations.

If you can set up a simple testcase demonstrating this problem on a dialect
3 database, it would be important to post it in the bug tracker without too
much delay. There is probably going to be a Fb 1.5.3...

./heLen