Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird stops on server reboot
Author Helen Borrie
At 05:15 AM 25/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>Some of our clients are reporting ISC error 335544721 when trying to
>connect to their Firebird 1.5.2 databases after a server reboot.
>Prior to the reboot, Firebird has been working perfectly for months.

Sounds like a messed up install. How could Firebird 1.5.2 have been
"working perfectly for months"? It wasn't released until Christmas Day,
exactly one month ago.

>Stopping and starting the Firebird Guardian service doesn't get
>things moving again. The only thing we have found that works is to
>uninstall Firebird, reboot the server and reinstall Firebird. This
>seems to fix the problem permanently.

It seems like the right fix.

>Has anyone experienced this problem?

Well, let's say it's what is to be expected from an unclean installation.

>Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, next time, get them to follow a proper procedure for installing a new
sub-release. Shutting down the server, saving stuff they want to keep
(firebird.config, aliases.conf, security.fdb) and then running a full
uninstall.

Then shut down the machine and reboot, if it's Windows.

Then run the installer, test that it works using sysdba/masterkey; then
shut down both guardian and the server.

Copy over the saved files; restart the Guardian service.

If they are not clear about it, ask them to practise first on a
non-production server.

Don't be afraid that you are looking at "big down-time". Our installs are
incredibly cool. I presented a full Firebird 1.5.2 install at an open
source conference recently, beginning with a full rpm -e uninstall and then
installing clean from a USB stick, changing the password and connecting to
employee.fdb. Thanks to lack of lighting, it was done in the dark. The
whole thing was watched on a big AV screen by a theatre-load of MySQL
fanatics. The whole thing from go to whoa took 57 seconds (which was 6
seconds slower than my best practice run, thanks to typos, also watched by
the K-ritics. Cringe.)

Unbeknown to me, one of the audience was wired up to the Web on broadband
and downloaded the kit while I was yakking about what I was going to
do. When I did my demo install, he followed me, keystroke for
keystroke. The moment that the audience saw the output from "select * from
employee", so did this guy on his own laptop. You had to be there to
cherish that moment.

We call this "guerilla marketing". :-) Sorry for straying OT, just
thought it was worth sharing.

./heLen