Subject Re: What is necessary to deploy a Firebird app in-house?
Author Adam
1. Client must be able to access the Server on port 3050 (by default)
2. fbclient.dll in system32 will do, or just put it in your
applications directory. If you do deploy it to the system32 folder,
then remember when you uninstall that other applications may rely on
it.
3. TCP/IP installed (at least its a given these days)
4. Firebird installed and running on the server
5. The client should not have access to the fdb file directly through
any windows share. Instead, configure an alias in aliases.conf, then
set the database connection string to "MyServer:MyAlias". This makes
it impossible for the client to bypass the security mechanisms.

As you can see, it is really simple to setup, just add one dll to
your installer, and the rest only takes a couple of minutes to do on
the server.

Theoretically, you can expose port 3050 to the internet, and there is
nothing technically stopping a client from connecting to firebird
over the net, however that can be a bit risky, if you plan on doing
that then a middle layer such as REMObjects etc would be a better
option as you can then control what sorts of queries can get run by
the client machine. If it is just a small "non hostile" LAN, you can
allow direct connection to the database via 3050.

Adam

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Clay Shannon"
<cshannon@d...> wrote:
> I have created an app with Delphi and Firebird and will soon deploy
it on
> some users' desktops (XP) for testing.
>

> The Firebird database the app communicates with is on a server.
>

> Assuming the users' machines can "see" the server machine, what do
I need to