Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Generator as default value?
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:06 AM 24/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Ok, so the answer is no. Wouldn't it be a nice feature to have though?
>Take it as a RFE for future versions.
>
>How about the data type? I am sure this has been asked before, but
>searching these groups is a pain... sorry.

A generator generates a BIGINT in dialect 3, an INTEGER in dialect 1. You
can define the column as INTEGER or SMALLINT if you want - as long as you
are sure that the value will never grow past the limit for those types. If
you are not sure, or if you want to future-proof your key, define the
column as BIGINT.

./hb