Subject RE: [firebird-support] Windows O/S Config for 50-user system
Author Alan McDonald
> Mohd. Jeffry wrote:
>
> >(snip - EULA Agreeement)
> >

> That's it. I think you posted here the EULA for W2K or XP Pro.
>
> At the time, I discuss this with my client lawyers. I must say they are
> not specialized in Software agreements. What they said was simple: if
> computers connect by TCP/IP, and TCP/IP services is "part of the
> Product", Firebird is using "services provide by the product".
>
> I'm not a lawyer, and maybe these lawyers were wrong. I didn't care
> about it at the time - I was pushing the client to linux anyway.
>
> Artur

OK - tell me why, then, very well known webhosting companies provide stock
standard windows2000 / 2003 servers (no special extra licences) for the
purpose of hosting websites which potentially allow 1,000s of simultaneous
users to use the IIS service (which by default setup allows 100,000
simultaneous connections). Take a look at the pricing offered by any "jack"
hosting company and if any extra license costs were to be layered onto the
cost structure of their boxes, noone would sign up. They really are rock
bottom prices.
Alan