Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: "Mysterious" data loss
Author Jacqui Caren
Mohd. Jeffry wrote:

> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Jacqui Caren <
>
>>Ah! This is because FB connects to the db file via a "reference" in the
>>same manner as the directory listing.
>>
>>do a ls -l and look at the ref count, one for the filesystem (dir
>>listing entry) and one extra for each FB server open File handle
>

> Pardon my ignorance, but I don't fully understand what are your
> saying. I did a ls -l at my running production classic 1.5 fb (at Red
> Hat Ent. Linux ) and get this:-
>
> [root@iedb1 db]# ls -l erp_am.fdb
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 firebird firebird 5574180864 Jan 19 11:51 erp_am.fdb
>
> Form my understanding the number prior to "firebird firebird" should
> be 2 rite? So is my firebird is not referencing the db the way that
> you just describe?

Yes - you are correct :-)

It looks like FB server (super on my MDK box) does not keep an open
handle to the db file for any noticable time.

However if you were to replace the database at the time a transaction
was being commited (when the server has an open handle) then a window
for this scenario could exist and the committed transaction would
'dissapear'.

Jacqui