Subject RE: [firebird-support] Broken Database after system crash on W2K
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:18 PM 11/01/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>We could spend considerable bandwidth debating what programs do well under
>'bad installation environments' but it's a pointless exercise. If you
>expect professional results from your software, create a professional
>environment for them to run in. A UPS is a basic necessity for ANY server.
>Period.

All true; but if power outages are causing database corruption, I'd be
suspicious that the system is operating with Forced Writes off. This is
totally fatal on Windows or in *any* environment where the power supply
isn't well protected.

If in fact Forced Writes is enabled and you're getting corruption after a
power outage, I'd then suspect that the power supply conditions preceding
the actual outage are physically damaging the HDD.

Disks are cheap; data is priceless; damaged disks storing databases are a
disaster waiting to happen; running computer hardware in a dirty power
environment is sky-diving without a parachute. How many damaged
disks/broken databases does it take to justify a UPS?

./heLen