Subject Re: Date Range
Author Svein Erling Tysvær
I know that one in theory does learn from experience, but storing time
history tables for trains further back than the year 100 is
ridiculous. Or is British Rail (or whatever they're called now)
storing them because they want to say "Hey, our trains used to be 1800
years delayed, now you only have to wait a few hours - so stop
complaining!"

Nor does it sound sensible storing exact dates before year 1 (trying
on Firebird 1.0, I found that minimum date was 0001-01-01, not
0100-01-01 like you wrote), we don't know what date Jesus was born
(even though we celebrate it 25 December) and the celebration of his
death/resurrection varies from year to year (we do know that it was
two days between his death and resurrection). And I'd be greatly
impressed if the Caine family or anyone else kept a family record more
detailed than that. Hence, I think an integer field for year or
possibly for month if you want to be very detailed would be more
appropriate for dates this far back in time.

Set