Subject Re: Firebird vs. MS SQL Server
Author nunocsalgado
Hi,

I have the same problem.

I know a little of MS SQL and for me MS SQL is a very good SQL DB
Server.

4 things I think Firebird is better than MS SQL:
- Firebird can run on a miriade of OS's, MS SQL is only for Windows.
The good thing about it is that you can start with a Windows Server
and later transfer the database to a Unix/Linux server with 3 steps:
backup, copy, restore.
- Firebird is Free (Free in code and like in free beer).
- Firebird is small in code and when it is running.You can have
Firebird running on "servers" with limited memory and disk space.
- Outstanding people working in.

Regards,
Nuno

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Chris Meelhuysen
<chris@e...> wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
> > Chris Meelhuysen wrote:
> >

> >>Is there any documentation available that compares Firebird to MS
SQL
> >>Server. I have numberous potential clients that do not wish to
move
> >>from MS SQL because they already know of it. And I cannot
provide them
> >>anything other than old InterBase documents that compare that
version of
> >> InterBase with the then current version of MS SQL Server.
> >>
> >>If there are not some available, who (in the know) could create
such
> >>documents? I do not possess enough knowledge of database systems
> >>create something that would compel someone to move toward
Firebird and
> >>be satisfied that it was stable, secure, etc.
> >

> > I've built up a few notes when dealing with customers, but I
don't get
> > much need to use them. The usual situation is that the 'users'
will be
> > new clients not currently on the system, so we say we are quite
happy to
> > work with MSSQL, THEN how much will the new client licences cost
them.
> > We then ask what they get for that money. After that the
discussion is
> > on integration rather than switching ;)
> >
> > I still have to talk to MSSQL, Oracle and other systems, but the
core
> > work happens in Firebird, and we are slowly moving bits and
pieces from
> > the 'old' systems onto the new framework.
> >

> The issue I have is our competitors us MS SQL and we use Firebird.
We
> will sometimes be overlooked the second they here we dont use MS
SQL. I
> would like to be able to show them "hey look it does everything MS
SQL