Subject Re: [firebird-support] DB-Engine and DB-File
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:39 AM 6/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>simple question: is it possible to connect to a database file on a
>network drive while running a local Firebird engine ?
>I suppose it isn't, but maybe there is a possibility.

No.

>2.) Do the database file and the engine have to be installed on the
>same machine (server)?

Yes. The connection path must be the absolute physical path as seen by the
server machine. So, if the database is in drive D on a server with the
host name OurServer, the path would be

d:\accounts\data\genledger.fdb

and the remote clients would connect using this TCP/IP connection string:

OurServer:d:\accounts\data\genledger.fdb (Win32 server)
OurServer:/accounts/data/genledger.fdb (**x servers)

or this Named Pipes connection string (Win32):

\\OurServer\d:\accounts\data\genledger.fdb

\\OurServer can not be a mapped drive or a share.

./hb