Subject Re: [firebird-support] Db server run by root
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:06 AM 6/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

> I'm attempting to install fb1.5.2 on RH9, the
> file /opt/firebird/misc/firebird.init.d.generic includes
>
> echo '$FIREBIRD/bin/fbmgr -start -forever' | su $FBRunUser
>
> which won't work,

I think this relates to a typo reported in the preceding script that would
have prevented the variable $FBRunUser from being assigned.

>it all seems to work fine however if I just
> make it into
>
> $FIREBIRD/bin/fbmgr -start -forever
>
> is there a downside? What problem am I creating for myself

Well, the downside is that the user running the Firebird server is whatever
(OS) user ran the script. In Fb 1.5 security was tightened up a lot by
creating this user 'firebird', leading the way to creating a 'firebird'
group for permissions on files pertaining to the server and other things.

Since you're saying it works fine, I guess you were root when you ran the
installation...

In case you want to fix the offending script and rerun it, before restoring
the original start command, search the script SSchangeRunUser.sh for the
string "ehco" and change it to "echo".

For more info about the security changes in the Linux installs, refer to
the Fb 1.5 release notes.

./heLen