Subject Re: [firebird-support] Can a Firebird 1.5 client connect to an old firebird version?
Author Dimitry Sibiryakov
On 10 Sep 2004 at 17:08, Jerome Bouvattier wrote:

>> Yes. It can even connect to old IBs, but you may get "feature not
>> supported" error on some operations.
>And is there any risk in doing so ? Can I corrupt the ODS10 database ?

Client library does not interact with DB file directly, so it must
be quite safe, but I wouldn't take a bet.

>Ideally I'd like to do the following :
>
>- Setup installs fb embedded and remove anything related to IB6
>- Setup installs new version of the app
>- App forces a backup and restore of the db at first start.

No!! This is indeed a way to get into troubles. Don't ever try to
open DB file by different server. And FB is quite "different server"
for IB.

>Instead of the more tricky :
>
>- *Ensure* the user backed up its db *before* any setup is run
>- Setup installs fb embedded and remove IB6
>- Setup installs new version of the app
>- App forces a restore of last backup at first start.

This is the only safe way to migrate.

SY, Dimitry Sibiryakov.