Subject Re: random number generator?
Author yiorgos_psql
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Alan McDonald" <alan@m...>
wrote:
> > I have good reasons why I not want to use a incremental generator.
> >
> > thanx
> >
> > Yiorgos
> >

> love to hear your reasons...
> Alan

what is UUID ??

My reasons:

consider this: I have a client who does door-to-door sales of kiosk
supplies. He has a number of salesmen with portable PC's who at the
end of the day must come update the office DB. Having randomly
generated keys makes this simple. Mathematically, the chance of two
identical keys still exists, but it is practically nil.

Curently I am inserting a random number from the application but I
want to change this to a trigger or something.

I can do what I want using a two-field key, but I would rather not.