Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Firebird ODBC Driver Unknow Table Error
Author Helen Borrie
At 02:23 PM 30/07/2004 +0000, you wrote:

>Well, I recreated the table using isql and DIDN'T use quoted
>identifiers. Brio and MS Access can now query the table with no
>problems. Why is FB so picky about quoted identifiers?

It's an SQL standard which (Praise the Lord!) is totally optional except in
situations where you have to use an illegal word or character as an
identifier.

Quoted identifiers are case sensitive, so you *can* do this:

create table "blah" (
"blah" integer,
"BLAH" varchar(10));

Because Firebird stores all *unquoted* identifiers in upper case, it will
allow you to refer to an upper case identifier without quotes. So this is
a legal query:

SELECT "blah", BLAH
from "blah";

But this isn't legal:

SELECT blah, BLAH
from blah

See, it's not really confusing at all, is it? :-))

/heLen