Subject Re: [firebird-support] firebird 1.5.1 run on windows2k professional?
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:38 PM 26/07/2004 +0800, you wrote:
>actually i did have fully network working. ping? of course, it works
>because the ip is my pc's ip. ( plz believe me,

I believe you. I can ping your server across the Internet
successfully. However, when I try to connect to your Firebird server using
this string:
61.186.179.99:C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\examples\employee.fdb

I get the same result as you do. That's because your Firebird server has
the gds_32 service on port 3050 open to your local area network, not to the
World Wide Web.

>i have test it. I linked
>to the internet via LAN, I do everything on it, such as surfing or email
>something or downloading something.)
>
>in fact, i have setup a personal ftp service, you can try to verify what
>i said is true or not.(or ping scarab.3322.org). BTW, i have test the
>tcp/ip connection with the help of iboconsole, it passed! but when i try
>to connect to a database, It reported that
>
>---------
>ISC ERROR MESSAGE:
>Unable to complete network request to host "61.186.179.99".
>Failed to establish a connection.
>²Ù×÷ϵͳÕÓ²»µ½ÓÑÊäÈëµÄ
>»·¾³Ñ¡Ïî¡£

>Server Communication Test Failed!
>------------
>(sorry, you will have to see some annoying text in chinese,
>indeed, I am also unable to understand what it say so perhaps i could
>not translate it into english, but I can say some words: OS cannot find
>enviornment option which has been inputed. It's a trick? Only guess can
>help)

Translated into English, it says "Unknown Win32 error 3".

>Remember, the superserver as a application work under the same network
>situation.

Look in your c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc folder for a file named
Services. Open that and, at the end end, add this entry:

gds_db 3050/tcp

Then, go to a command shell and type
net stop FirebirdGuardianDefaultInstance

then

net start FirebirdGuardianDefaultInstance

When the service restarts, try to connect again. If it works this time,
then you have a wrong version of gds32.dll, since the Firebird clients will
find the gds_db service on port 3050 without referring to the services
file. (Check the version string of gds32.dll on the property sheet).

>i installed win2k pro on partition c: and server on partition d:

>Yes, as the Alan said, i have a dual boot system. I have tried my
>question on win2k server, It worked very well.
>
>According what you said, the classic server should work on win2k pro.

It does. I have Classic server running on my notebook and Superserver on
my main development machine. The notebook dual boots with Red Hat 8, where
I have Linux Classic. My Linux development machine also dual boots Win2K
Pro, running Classic; and Mandrake 9.1, running Superserver. All the
servers can be connected to by local or remote clients anywhere in the
network and the remote clients can be Linux or Win clients. It is a very
ordinary mixed OS LAN setup.

I can also connect to Firebird servers across the WWW, e.g.
firebird-books.net:/home/chezmoi/databases/gardening.fdb and
ibobjects.com:d:\databases\zippydo.fdb, as long as port 3050 on the host is
open to the WWW. I can do this even from a machine that has no NIC. The
client computer doesn't *use* the NIC to communicate with the web, only to
communicate with other nodes in the LAN. A client can communicate with a
local server via TCP/IP local loopback, also without a NIC card, using the
special hostname localhost (IP address 127.0.0.1).

>but ... :( do you really use the architecture of classic server?

Yes, of course. Why not?

/heLen