Subject RE: [firebird-support] FIREBIRD Mixed SORT in key/index
Author Johan van Zyl
THx
I am new to SQL so that is why I am still asking silly questions.
I have been using Clarion with its proprietary TOPSPEED (.tps) file driver
(flat file) up to now.
So it is a bit of a paradigm shift for me!
JVZ
-----Original Message-----
From: Ann W. Harrison [mailto:aharrison@...]
Sent: 20 July 2004 04:11
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] FIREBIRD Mixed SORT in key/index

At 05:23 AM 7/20/2004, Johan van Zyl wrote:
>Hi
>Can one now have a multiple key/index with mixed sort?
>i.e.
>KeyInvoiceDateCustomerName
>InvoiceDate Descending
>CustomerName Ascending
>
>If not now then when can we expect it?

You can mix ascending and descending in an ORDER BY clause, but
not in an index definition. To the best of my knowledge, there
are no plans to change that situation. Many programmers suffer
from an irrational fear of sorting and insist on building indexes
to avoid what is a simple, reasonably quick operation in most
cases. Indexes are essential for locating records. The fact that
they impose an order is a secondary effect.

Regards,

Ann

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

---