Subject Re: [firebird-support] "internal gds software consistency check" "cannot find tip page"
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:40 AM 19/07/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>On running my app for the first time today it failed with the above
>error message. Looking on the internet I found
>http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,30208,00.html that suggests it
>occurs to read only databases. IB Manager shows the database
>properties are not read only and looking at the properties of the
>finished database windows xp does not show the database as being read
>only either.
>
>Can anyone shed some light on why this may have occured?

The observation about read-only databases is a side-issue. Internal gds
software consistency check in a read-write database indicates corruption.

>ps
>The last thing I had done was to develop and test a restore function
>of the database using iboAdmin components. I have created the
>database using a trial edition of IB Manager

There is only a handful of ways to corrupt a database and restoring a
database using the -r[eplace_database] switch is one of them.

If your restore app restored to a new database file then presumably it's
the new file that is corrupt and the original is still OK. That's a
reasonably good indication that you have some corrupt structures in the
original.

Either way, download this paper and go through the steps described. If
you're lucky, you'll end up with a database you can connect to.
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_db_corr

Make sure you follow the recommendation to work on a file-copy of the
database file. Do I need to remind you not to file-copy a database file
that has active connections?

/heLen