Subject Re: Syntax for GBAK
Author ra8009
When I type this into my run dialog:

"C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\bin\gbak.exe" -b
"C:\MyData\test.FDB" "C:\MyData\test.FDK" -user SYSDBA - password
masterkey

I see the DOS window for a split second but no backup is produced.
What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to freeze the DOS window so I
can see the output?

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...>
wrote:
> At 10:16 PM 9/07/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> >I want to use GBAK to create a backup of my database. Where do I find
> >the syntax?
>
> In the IB6 beta docs volume OpGuide.pdf, downloadable from various
sites. Try the Downloads|InterBase page at www.ibphoenix.com, or
Google for OpGuide.pdf.

> Or, if you're really patient, wait a couple of weeks for "The
Firebird Book". It has a whole chapter on gbak. :-))

> Basic backup syntax on the local machine:
> gbak -b[ackup_database] local/path/to/database
/local/path/to/backupfile -u username -password password

> Basic restore syntax (safe) on the local machine:
> gbak -c[reate database] local/path/to/backupfile
/local/path/to/newDBfilename -u username -password password

> Basic restore syntax (dangerous) on the local machine:
> gbak -r[eplace_database] local/path/to/backupfile
/local/path/to/existingDBfilename -u username -password password

> The square brackets are not part of the syntax - they are optional
extensions of the abbreviated switches. The effects of switches
aren't necessarily the same for backup and restore...so DO study the
docs if you are experimenting with a database you care about.