Subject Re: [firebird-support] fbclient.dll - synchronous or asynchronous?
Author Myles Wakeham
> On 09-Jul-2004 02:26:47, Martijn Tonies wrote:
> Why does every MDI window need it's own thread?

The language that I'm doing this in behaves that way (4th Dimension). Each
window that is spawned (ie. MDI style Window), runs in its own memory space,
with its own local variable set, and although there are some interprocess
variables that can be used, it's a nightmare to work that way. Therefore I
typically treat each MDI Window as a 'sub-program' running in its own memory
space, with its own local memory variables. Its just that a user can have
many of these open at once, and they would all be connected to Firebird
independently.

They wouldn't be too busy. This is a pretty low key business application
that runs mainly as a user interface on the workstation. There isn't any
heavy data processing, and I'm architecting all data management work to be
done by stored procedures in the database itself anyway, so the calls are
mainly requests to fire a stored procedure off on the server, and then get
back the result set from this, and display it.

Nothing special, but the language I'm dealing with treats the MDI concept as
a collection of concurrent threaded sub-programs.

Regards,
Myles

Myles Wakeham
Director of Engineering