Subject Re: [firebird-support] Introduction to stored procedures
Author Jonathan Neve
Alexandre Benson Smith wrote:

>Currently in FB you need to use a left join to perform a join with
>selectable procedures (as you explained act as a table), something like
>this:
>
>Select
> *
>from
> table_x x left join
> procedure_y(param1, param2, etc...) y on (x.SomeColumn = y.SomeReturnParameter)
>
>you will get an erros if you try this:
>Select
> *
>from
> table_x x join
> procedure_y(param1, param2, etc...) y on (x.SomeColumn = y.SomeReturnParameter)
>

>The left join forces the first table to be scanned first.

Interesting. Actually, I must admit that I don't fully understand the
difference between a join and a left join. The two variants I use often
are "JOIN" and "LEFT OUTER JOIN". I'm not accustomed to any other kind
of join. So what exactly does LEFT JOIN mean?

However, as it happens, I have never yet come across this problem you're
describing, because when I join a stored procedure, in never need "join
conditions", since I'm already passing parameters. So I always just do
an implicit join without any conditions: "FROM TABLE, PROC(...)". I've
always wondered if there was a better way...

Thanks!

Jonathan Neve.