Subject Re: [firebird-support] Indices and Users
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:39 AM 3/07/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>while working with Firebird 1.5 2 Questions came up which couldn't be
>answered by the documents:
>
>1. There seems to be no possibility to choose if created indices will
>be B-Tree Indices, Hash-Indices..., so I'm wondering what kind if
>indices the Firebird database system creates???

Correct - Firebird creates only B-tree indices. Use CREATE INDEX. You can
have ASCENDING (default), DESCENDING and you optionally have it sorted
NULLS LAST (default) or NULLS FIRST.

>2. How are new Users created using SQL? CREATE USER doesn't seem to
>work, I'm allways getting an error message saying the word USER is
>unknown...

On Firebird, users are created at server level, not database level, and go
into a separate database named security.fdb. There is a command-line tool,
with an optional shell interface, for maintaining security.fdb. Its name
is gsec and it is accessible only by the SYSDBA user (initial password
masterkey on Windows - change it quick!!).

Helen