Subject Re: [firebird-support] Why is FireBird so slow in the Internet?
Author Dimitry Sibiryakov
On 12 May 2004 at 15:26, marcoaureliocastro wrote:

> Why the full band is not used? As as comparation, it is very
>faster if I connect to the remote server using Windows Terminal
>Server (using the same modem). I belive that should be faster if
>just the data bytes from the FireBird server was traveling in the
>Internet. The FireBird is in a Linux server and the Terminat Server
>is a marquared port.

All this is happening because FB wire protocol was not developed
for connections with big round-trip time. FB sends quite a few little
packets and waits the answer for each one. Actually, it is one packet
for each API call except may be isc_dsql_fetch().
Problem becomes even worse if you use an high-level envelope
library in your program (like IBO or FIB+) because such libraries
used to perform many operations which could be skipped according to
your exactly needs.

SY, Dimitry Sibiryakov.