Subject RE: [firebird-support] Default Value not working
Author Kevin Stanton
Thanks Helen and Geoff, again just my simple mind at work - if there is a
default defined, use it. If not allow nulls.
In the process of turning my thinking around.
Trimming replies in process too :)
Best Regards,
Kevin
-----Original Message-----
From: Helen Borrie [mailto:helebor@...]
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 11:38 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [firebird-support] Default Value not working

Neeeaah, dat's da way a default works. It kicks in if (and only if) the
insert statement ignores the defaulted column. If you *pass* a null to a
nullable column, how would the engine know that it wasn't intended?

If you want a default value to prevail when null is passes, you have no
option except to use a trigger. It's not at all silly.

Turn your thinking around to the way we use null in searches and so on.
It

(Your attention to trimming replies will be rewarded with the customary
appreciation...)

^heLen