Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Right clic on trayIcon of FbGuard
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:34 AM 16/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:

> > Because in Classic there is nothing to shut down. Each connection
>has its
> > own instance of the server. When the client disconnects from the
>server,
> > that server instance shuts down. If no client is connected, there
>is no
> > server. (In fact there is a little network utility program in
>background
> > that is listening for connection requests, but it is not a database
>server).
> >
> > /heLen
>
>Hi,
>
>Thank you for the answer.
>You tell me "there is nothing to shutdown" ... OK, but when I want to
>shutdown clients connection, how I can do it, please ?

Well, the *right* way to do it is to have the user log out of his
applications. The server process will then do its cleanup and die.

If the user goes away and leaves things running (uncommitted transactions,
etc.) then I suppose you could do the Windows equivalent of "kill" and end
the process with the Windows Task Manager. That's not going to be
available on a Win98 server, though. I simply do not know how to kill an
executable on Win98. If you "crash" the process this way, you stand to
corrupt data.

In another case - where the user himself crashes the application, or
switches off his machine, or whatever - the server process will shut itself
down eventually. There's a timeout of about 10 minutes; after that, the
process should roll back any transactions that it owns and just die peacefully.

I guess what I'm wondering is why you actually *want* to kill a process...

We *are* talking Classic here. Superserver is quite different.

/heLen