Subject Re: [firebird-support] Case-insensitive selects
Author Carsten Schäfer
Is this adressed id Firebird 2.0 ?
I think case-insensitive selects are really needed for many applications.

mfg
Carsten
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Vinkenoog
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 9:14 PM
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Case-insensitive selects

Hello Thomas,

> I have just started (or trying to) using the firebird/interbase
> database to store data, and one of my first problems is that all
> selects are case-sensitive. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

No, but you can select or order on UPPER( FieldName ) to achieve case
insensitivity. This decreases performance, so if you do it often on
certain columns, it's better to add an all-uppercase proxy column
(populated through triggers) and use that proxy column to select
and/or order on.

Also bear in mind that CONTAINING is case insensitive. LIKE, STARTING
WITH, etc. are case sensitive.

Hope this helps,
Paul Vinkenoog

Yahoo! Groups Links