Subject Re: [firebird-support] Valid data types for FB 1.5
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:51 AM 6/01/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> Could someone confirm that these are/will be the valid data types
>for a Firebird 1.5/Dialect 3 database?
>
>BIGINT
>BLOB
>CHAR
>DATE
>DECIMAL
>DOUBLE PRECISION
>FLOAT
>INTEGER
>NUMERIC
>SMALLINT
>TIME
>TIMESTAMP
>VARCHAR

and ARRAY

> On my latest Firebird Documentation CD from IBPhoenix, it lists a
>data type of "INT64", which I think is now "BIGINT", correct?

The Using Firebird guide hasn't yet been updated for Fb 1.5. Originally,
NUMERIC(18,0) was going to be aliased to INT64. During Fb 1.5 development,
it was decided to make it BIGINT instead.

> And there is no BOOLEAN type, correct? Using a domain is fine with
>me, I just want to know the valid data types.

Correct.

> Also, for new users of Firebird, will these data types be published
>in a free and readily available document? The release notes?

New data types are in the release notes (you need both 1.0 and 1.5
notes). Data types inherited from IB 6 are in the IB 6 beta docs and
Migration Guide.

> The
>Firebird Quick Start Guide?

That's debatable. Just knowing the names of the data types isn't much
use. The Quick Start Guide necessarily presumes that you have availed
yourself of the documentation to do the more-than-trivial stuff. When
migrating from another DB, you really need the level of detail that you
find in the ib 6 Data Definition Guide and release notes. Both the UFB and
QSG will be coming under review in a few weeks so I'll give it some thought
then.

It's going to be quite some time before you can pick up free,
comprehensive, up-to-date docs written explicitly for Firebird. It's a
very time-consuming job to write useful documentation "from scratch". This
is, however, what we have to do, since we don't have any rights to copy the
Borland beta docs. The weren't part of the open source package.

There is an all-too-small team of dedicated volunteers in firebird-docs,
led by Paul Vinkenoog, working its way towards building up free docs. Too
many chickens in the farmyard, too few Little Red Hens.

/heLen