Subject Re: [firebird-support] Update Failed
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:49 AM 12/09/2003 +0300, you wrote:
>It cannot be an key violation error because i am using generator.
>It must be a component error or server error.
>
>One Time, I have seen a strange error.
>Machine is Win95.
>My table id field value is 345, but my generator is 320.
>And i get key violation error.
>There is a problem but i can not understand.
>What is the problem.

It means that you somehow altered the generator, or you used some different
way to push PK values into the id field. The generator doesn't know what
is going on in the column it populates with a trigger. It never
auto-increments except when it is called.

I fixed a problem database where the developer decided to have one
generator to be used when the PK was set by trigger and a different
generator to call from his application for inserts on the same table. He
thought that would be a good way to know whether the PK had come from a
user or from someone using an admin tool. Not a good trick. :-))

heLen