Subject Re: [firebird-support] Linux versions supported?
Author Phil Shrimpton
On Monday 14 July 2003 17:41, Doug Chamberlin wrote:

Hi,

> It is the relatively new FB 1.5 install issues that had me concerned. I
> hope this all settles down significantly before 1.5 approaches release.

So do I, but I do not know the technical details to understand if it is a
realistic goal or not.

> Part of me yearns for a source-only starting point where I install once,
> then rebuild it all from scratch. But what has me nervous are the reports
> illustrating how fragile the
> build scripts are. maybe I've been lurking on the FB-devel list too much
> and I'm just spooked.

I have tried a couple of times to build FB from source 'for fun', but never
succeed, just glad there are binaries for us mortals <g>

> >What type of application are you looking to develop? (server, GUI, etc.)
> >There are other tools/languages that work well with FB, that might be an
> >alternative to Kylix)
>
> I don't have anything in particular in mind. Just want to move off Windows
> as my main platform and see where it leads me.

We ported a Delphi server app to Kylix, and it was painful, but the end
result is working very well. We don't really want to repeat the experience
for a while; most of our server side stuff is now done in Java, and we are
happy with that for the time being.

Phil
--
7:58pm up 89 days, 8:51, 1 user, load average: 0.19, 0.05, 0.01
ICQ: 760757 AIM: pjshrimpton Y!: pjshrimpton